Thursday, 3 July 2014

Proud to be a Christian

I’m now about 2/3 of the way through my sabbatical, and this past weekend I have had the chance to travel and meet with members of the wider Methodist family and the world church.

The main theme of the sabbatical is “Faith and homosexuality”, and this past weekend saw Pride marches take place in many cities across the world, London, New York and San Francisco to name but a few. This weekend is chosen as it is the one closest to the anniversary of the Stonewall Riots in New York, 1969.  I was fortunate enough to be invited to walk with Urban Village Church, part of the wider Methodist family, in Chicago Pride.

There was another reason why I wanted to see Chicago Pride – I wanted to see and thank members of the Marin Foundation for its “I’m sorry” campaign.
A few years ago, Andrew Marin, a Christian, was fed up of being seen as a homophobic bigot just because he happened to be a Christian. So he and others took to lining the route of Chicago Pride wearing t-shirts saying “I’m sorry”. When asked the inevitable “What are you sorry for?”, they could reply, “Sorry for the way the church has treated you”, “sorry for formerly being a Bible-banging homophobe” etc.

It’s not the sort of message you expect to hear Christians saying at Pride, more’s the pity, and there have been some wonderful conversations as a result. One photo from, I think, their first campaign, has been an internet sensation. I don’t use that word lightly, but I believe it has been shared over 20 million times. So here’s another share





When I arrived at Urban Village, I was greeted by one of their ministers and said hello to some others who had arrived early. It’s an evangelical church which meets in a theatre, and its slogan is “Bold, inclusive, relevant” (I have questions as to what I believe is an over-use of the word “relevant” in Christian circles, but I’ll let that pass on this occasion). Early on in the service there was a time of testimony, and it was the first time I can remember someone giving their testimony in church and coming out as being gay. Bless you for that, Tyler.

But as the church is not to be kept within the 4 walls, it was soon time to get the bus to the start of the Pride parade. Of course, being a typical Brit, I was looking entirely the wrong way down the street for the bus to arrive, and it came as a bit of a surprise when it arrived from behind me! I thought about trying to make a joke about “Being on’t other bus” but wondered if my American friends would get it!

Just before the Parade started we met up not only with other members of Urban Village (it’s a church on 4 sites across Chicago), but also with what must have been about 30 other churches from across the city, all with signs displaying their name. What a wonderful witness. As a number of clergy were walking wearing their clerical collars, I changed my shirt [and possibly made someone’s day in the process?? {who am I trying to kid?} J ] and the resulting photo has received over 40 likes on Facebook and at least one person has nicked it to comment on North Wales Pride! Ok, that’s still well short of 20 million, but it’s a start! J



I didn’t get many photos of the parade itself, largely because even by my standards, we were walking at a fair lick. What I do remember, though, is the enormous support, cheering and good-will from the crowd who, for the most part (I guess) are probably not regular worshippers. Indeed, my right arm was aching after the walk because of the amount of waving I had been doing. It was also fascinating to see some of the clergy walking hand-in hand with their partners. May the day come when that doesn’t raise an eyebrow.

Towards the end of the parade was the “I’m sorry” team, and it was a chance for me to hug and thank them for the work they’re doing. That was a special moment. Sadly, behind them were other Christians with the more usual banners and slogans, and in contrast to the churches represented on the walk and the “I’m sorry” team, it made me wonder just what Good News they had to offer. I had to smile, though, when, standing next to them was someone dressed as Jesus with a banner “I’m not with these guys”

At this point, the parade was at an end, and there was a moment where we ground to a halt to allow for floats etc in front of us to make their exit. Standing there, as people representing many branches of the church in Chicago, we started singing an old Sunday School chorus, just one word changed to allow us to sing it to the crowd with the Good News we were here to share “Yes, Jesus loves you, the Bible tells me so”

I had an interesting conversation with someone from Urban Village afterwards, when he commented that he thought that church in Britain was far more progressive in this matter than in the USA.  That stopped me in my tracks, and I told him that I had thought it was the other away round. I suppose in both countries, there is a wide diversity of opinion, and it’s only the negative press which makes the news.

After praying together, many of us went off for a burger, and all too soon, it was time to head our separate ways. It was a wonderful day, and gave me plenty to think about and remember for a long time to come.

On the day I arrived home, the Methodist Conference voted to allow Methodists (clergy and laity, we don’t make distinctions) to enter into same-sex marriages, and, whilst they can’t take place in church, guidelines were issued to allow a blessing if church and minister approve. The tone of the debate was wonderful, both sides watching over one another in love. I fully recognise that some will think we have gone too far, and some, like me, will think there is more work to be done, but the overall tone of the debate made me proud to be a Methodist.


Like Martin Luther King fifty years ago, I still have a dream, and these past few days, I have seen a glimpse of the dream coming true J

No comments:

Post a Comment