Monday, 7 July 2014

Gower

Back to Llanelli, back to the rain. So, what is the best way out of Llanelli? By all accounts, it’s not via the golf-club, even though that was where the path seemed to lead. Thankfully, though, there was a kind soul there who said “Look, don’t tell anyone I’ve told you this, but go up there, follow the path and jump over the fence and you’re back on the coast path” Ok, so I’ve now told everyone who happens to be reading this, but I don’t think the kind person is likely to get into any trouble – especially as there was a gap in the fence and I didn’t have to do any jumping!

The rain was non-stop for the first couple of hours. I had delayed the departure a little to allow for some of it to pass, but eventually there was only one thing to do – cover myself in waterproofs and hope for the best.

After a couple of hours of that I found a shelter in a park on the approach to Loughor. It was whilst seeking shelter that the worst of the rain stopped, and the next bit, on road heading towards Gowerton was far less miserable. The roads made for easy walking, Pen-clawdd offered a bite of lunch, and then at Crofty, the road turns onto the coast and gives stunning views all the way to Llanrhydian, views made all the better by the fact that after the morning’s deluge, it was now a beautiful afternoon.




At Llanrhydian I came across the church and could hear the organist practicing “Since Jesus came into my heart” – now that’s something I haven’t sung in years! I didn’t want to disturb him/her and my boots were wet and filthy, so I didn’t go in but it was good to hear and put a spring in my step for the rest of the way.



 Had to take the high tide diversion through Cheriton, and had to avoid the sheep! They were on the road ahead of me, and when they saw me approach, because they were scared, they ran a bit firther ahead still. If they’d run to the side, then I could have gone on my way and not disturbed them. Anyway, it was a case of dodge the sheep and follow the road all the way to Llanmadoc where I found my B&B for the evening.

The next morning, after a hearty breakfast, I continued through Llanmadoc, past the church and caravan park, then dropped down onto the beach to follow the dunes to Rhosilli. From there, it was a long and rocky, though beautiful walk through Overton and Port Eynon, made all the tougher by the fact that the walk took me right past the youth hostel where I was to be staying in that night. There was a lot more walking to do before I got back there, though! It was on round a bay and Oxwich Point to find a very welcome café just before reaching Oxwich sands. 



Then, it was onto the sands with my shoes and socks off to cross some shallow streams, over some stepping stones and on to Caswell. Because of the distance I needed to cover today,  wasn’t really taking the time to admire the scenery as I should. It was beautiful but I felt worn-out, and at this point, I decided to cheat, and head onto the road to take a short-cut to Mumbles. Again, with more time, I could have enjoyed this for the pleasant seaside place it is, but all I wanted to do was get back to where I’d left the car 2 days ago and then return to the youth hostel I had passed some hours previously.

The following day I walked the few miles along Swansea Bay from Mumbles where I left off yesterday and headed into the city centre. It was all over by mid-morning, and then it was time to head to the next adventure, “Tough Mudder”


The next section of the walk, to be covered in early June, would be the home run. The end was now in sight.

No comments:

Post a Comment