Saturday, 10 August 2013

7 Miles, 5 bridges

This was only a short stretch of the Wales coast path, but it was an important one – quite strategic for what is to come later. It was achievable over the course of an afternoon, which meant that I could spend the morning travelling to Milford haven. Indeed, on the train there, it became clear that the family sitting near me were also walking the Pembrokeshire coast – but they were going in a different direction, so I wouldn't be having any walking companions today.

Starting out along the prom at Milford Haven, it quickly became clear that something was happening on the sea-front. It turned out to be the conclusion of a service to unveil a memorial to the victims of an oil refinery blast. I didn't realise this at the time, and people were starting to leave as I walked by, so I can't really claim to have “been there”, but it was still good to know what was going on. More information can be found here http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-23511233

After going through Milford Haven, I came to the first bridge of the day, the one that leads out of town. Unfortunately, for a short while after that, it is main roads with some blind bends. It really is not good terrain for walkers.

This doesn't last too long, though, after going up the hill a little way, there is a right turn for Venn farm, then it is back on the coastal path proper. Just after the farm, I came to a field with the warning “Bull in field” but happily, it wasn't in the field, and I crossed in peace.

The path leads round the back of an oil refinery, and here bridge no 2 crosses some of the refinery's pipes.



Soon, you are on bridge no 3, a metal bridge over the approach road to the refinery. With a metal mesh floor, this bridge is not good if you don't have a head for heights! Then again, the Pembrokeshire coast path as a whole is not good if you don't have a head for heights!



The off-road path didn't last too long, after this bridge it dropped and rejoined a small road at Llanstedwell, where I called into the church for a few minutes' breather. I'm still puzzled by the fact that on a side-table in one of the transepts, there were cups and a jug set out, but no water. OK, so I had drinks of my own, (this was a warm day in July) but this just seemed odd. There's a sermon there about seeming to offer hospitality, but then not doing. After all, if nothing had been set out, I wouldn't have given it a second thought, but to seem to offer hospitality, but then lack the vital ingredient?

From Llanstedwell, the road soon leads into Neyland where it follows river Daugleddau. Just after the marina, a set of park benches in a side road overlook the Cleddau Bridge. Going down this side road, the path goes under smaller Cleddau bridge, then sharply uphill on a mountain-bike route to get onto the bridge.

After crossing the smaller bridge, the next bit is main road but with good pavement, and it leads to the main Cleddau Bridge. That was exhilerating. There were great views, and I also had the wind whistling round me. As mentioned earlier, this was a warm day, now about tea-time, and a bit of a breeze was blowing. I wouldn't like to do with with the wind howling and the rain lashing down.




After the bridge, there was a picnic area where I finished my energy drink. Also, as the view of the bridge was good, it was a photo opportunity. From there, a couple of streets led to the Travelodge where I was to spend the night.

This was only a short walk, but hopefully it will be quite a help for the coming peninsula.



No comments:

Post a Comment