Tuesday, 2 July 2013

2 years

A few more thoughts about the latest stage of the Wales coast walk.

This is a project I have been working on now for just over 2 years. I reckon that it is going to take at least another year to complete.

Some people do long-distance walks all in one go, others take longer. To be honest, I don't suppose it matters.

Whilst walking to Dale the other day, I had a brief chat on the way with a couple who said that they were walking Offa's Dyke (I know that this was the Pembrokeshire coast path, but don't worry, they hadn't taken a wrong turning!) They were doing Offa's Dyke in stages, because their grandchildren wanted to do it. It had taken 2 years so far as they had been limited to school holidays.

In Dale, the couple who run the B&B where I stayed also commented that they had walked the Pembrokeshire Coast path, and that it had taken them 2 years. Again, they must have been doing it in stages as and when they could fit it in.

What was refreshing about this was that I could tell people I was walking the coast of Wales, and they replied as if it was the most natural thing in the world to be doing. Indeed, a German couple who were staying in the B&B the same night even went so far as to ask if I was walking the coast of the UK! No! This contrasts greatly with the reaction I get back home when people tend to look at me as if I have gone mad. Perhaps I have. If that is the case, then it was good to meet with other mad people for these couple of days.

If this is mad, then I'd hate to be normal!


No comments:

Post a Comment