Saturday, 11 May 2013

Ramsey to Onchan, then a day of rest!


Day 4 – Ramsey to Onchan

At last – a clear day without rain! There was still a bit of a breeze, but not as bad as yesterday!
The journey out of Ramsey was on the road. To an extent this is inevitable, but it was perhaps for longer than intended. If approaching Port e Vullen from the beach, check tide times first. As the tide was coming in, I decided to err on the side of caution. Looking at it from the other end, it appears I would actually have been ok after all.
Once on the path properly and away from the road, the views on the approach to Maughold were stunning – there was even a glimpse of Cumbria in the distance.



After following a few more contours around the cliffs after leaving Maughold, a lot of the next stretch is on road, criss-crossing the Manx electric railway. Ballajora station provided a brief chance to check the map and get some water on board. This bit was uphill, and it was starting to get hot! It was also interesting to see just how far inland this bit of the coast path was!
What goes up must come down, and after Cornaa, a very pleasant descent through the glen led to Port Cornaa – before going back up the equally pleasant other side!
More road to walk on, and more railway to walk alongside. Also, more walkers out today than I have previously seen. This is almost certainly because it is Saturday, but also, the Parish Walk is coming up next month, an 85-mile walk over 24 hours, and many people were training for that. Indeed, it's been commented that I move at a fair lick when I get going. Perhaps. Some of these race walkers, though, could, and did, leave me standing!
After Dhoon, I was passed by some walkers whilst having a sandwich. Once I got going again, I followed them for the next mile or so, but they were obviously in training and just disappeared further and further into the distance.
More minor roads, passing close to King Orry's Grave eventually give way to a drop through Old Laxey into Laxey, but only time for the briefest relaxey! No, I wasn't pushing myself unnecessarily - had that been the case I would have reached Peel, not Niarbyl on Day 1!
To be serious, I did have a little time to admire this seaside town. Even stopped at a cafe for a bottle of irn-bru to go, but, as has been mentioned earlier in this blog, this is a walking holiday, not a tea-shop holiday, so on we go.
If it had felt like all road up to now, the next section really was road – the A2 until Baldrine is almost reached. On the road, I met a cyclist going the other way, he asked how far it was to Laxey and was very relieved when I said it was 2 miles maximum! I think the heat was beginning to get to a couple of people by now!
After leaving the road, the path doesn't go where you expect it to when you reach Ballannette. It seems as if you turn left before a gate that seems to lead on to private property, but actually, what looks to be private isn't – at least, not right here, so it's forward onto this land before a right turn.
Actually, it is private property, but very welcoming to walkers and cyclists. The way is clearly marked, there are a couple of outside taps with notices inviting you to help yourself to drinking water. Well, of course I filled one of my bottles. There was even a loo a little further on with charity collecting tins on the windowsill! The helpful, welcoming, friendly nature of whoever designed this made this part of the walk a joy. If you are the owner of this estate, or if you are responsible for the facilities which help put a spring in a tired walker's step, thank-you.
I chose to make a detour after that, to Old Lonan's Kirk. Well worth a visit it is too. Apparently, in the day the local population were complaining that the church was too remote for them. It's partly in ruins these days, but not totally, and even the parts which are in ruins are well-preserved. For instance, I shouldn't have been surprised to see the font when I went through the door, but a roof might be useful unless you want the risk of everyone being baptised!



A seat in the churchyard proved a useful place to locate a car park on the map, a mile or so further on, and I texted John to make that today's meeting place. What happened next was positively barking!
The two women on the path in front of me must have been walking at least a dozen dogs between them. There wasn't a lead to be seen. All it took was one bark, and before I knew what was happening, there were a dozen dogs running towards me, and two women yelling at them as if that was going to make any difference. Now fair play, these weren't dangerous dogs by any means, just little yappers, so I stopped, patted as many as I could reach and said “Hey, what's the fuss?” and was very soon allowed to continue with no further ado. But before I had reached the end of the road, someone else must have passed them, for I heard the barking and the yells of the women again and wondered what might happen should anything more serious than a passing walker distract the dogs' attention.
I reached the car-park no worse for my ordeal by dog (!) and sat in the shelter by the stop for the electric train opposite. Well, wouldn't it be the case that the train arrived at the same time as John did. So I was furiously waving to John trying to get his attention whilst waving to the driver of the train to say that I didn't require the train service, thank-you. Thankfully, it all worked out ok, and another day's walking was successfully completed.

Sunday – a day off walking. I preached at Port Erin Methodist Church in the morning, played the organ at St Mary's Parish Church, Port St Mary, in the afternoon, and later had an unexpected but very pleasant meeting with an old friend before preaching at Ballagarey Methodist Church in the evening. It was good to meet some of the Manx Methodists and see what life in the Methodist church is like in this corner of the Connexion.

No comments:

Post a Comment