Thursday, 23 May 2013

Raad ny Foillan - the conclusion


Day 5 – Onchen to Castletown

There's one thing to do today before I take a step anywhere – get my name down for the ballot for next year's London Marathon!

After that, the day began with a lift back to tram stop / car park near Onchan. The path followed the road for a short while before diverting round the back of Millionaire's Row, some of the grandest housess on the island. They say money talks – it certainly does. There were several signs reminding walkers that this was private property, it was nothing like as friendly as the nature reserve last Saturday. That was private property, but the feeling of welcome could not have been more different.

Back on the road for the approach to Douglas, the island's capital.



 I still can't decide of it reminded me more of Aberystwyth or Llandudno. Suffice to say that if you like either of these Welsh resorts, you will like Douglas. It really is a lovely place. The prom lasts for 2 miles. This is not the height of the summer season, so it was not exactly at its busiest, but it was still a bustling metropolis in comparison to some stages of the walk!

At the end of the prom, the Steam Packet terminal is passed all too soon, then there's a flight of steps and before you know it. Raad ny Foillan continues along Marine Drive. At this point, the weather didn't know what to do. There was a breeze, so my coat went on for warmth, then it started to rain, so the waterproof trousers went on, then it was fine so off they came and so on. Also, the crowds (!) had again disappeared by this point. This is about as far as people tend to get if they are visiting Douglas and decide to have “a bit of a walk”



The road drops down to car park at Port Soderic, then the path through the glen really is a very pleasant bit of coast. Then, there's more road, which is not so pleasant, before heading back to the coast and the cliff paths.


Who said poetry was dead? :-)

At one point, the path goes through a field of cows. I really was not happy, and neither were they, but happily, they made their displeasure known by walking away from me rather than towards me! Thankfully, there were no major problems, then it was out of the field to the road at back of Ronaldsway airport. This was an odd feeling – between the airport and the sea. A metal road marked the path, and drops down onto the beach at one side and the airport fence on the other made sure you stuck to the path.

At that point, I thought that I had reached Castletown. I hadn't, I was only in Derby Haven, which is a pleasant enough place, but there were still 2 miles to go. These 2 miles took me past King William College before finally arriving in Castletown and meeting up with John at the memorial to John Wesley – where else!



In the evening – a meal with the friend I met up with yesterday afternoon.

Day 6 – Castletown to Port St Mary

In comparison with what has gone before, today was a stroll. The total distance was only about 7 miles, so it was a relaxed start. Most of today's walk was on road, though there was one diversion away from the road shortly after leaving Castletown and going past another Millionaire's Row. It was then back onto the main road which I have come to be so familiar with over recent days, being driven to one or other corner of the island, but I branched off the road just as Port St Mary's lower promenade comes into view. If that sounds short and sweet, it was, it only took a couple of hours and was not the most challenging day of the walk. Indeed, this was day 6, but really, I could have done this in 5 days had I really been pushing myself. There was another challenge in mind, though – before setting off, I entered next year's Brighton Marathon!

John met me on the prom and took some photos of me as I was reaching journey's end. At the end of prom, well, that's where the whole thing began last Tuesday. Raad ny Foillan - the way of the gull - had also become the way of the Robin!





I really don't know how I felt after completing it. It was strange. I was certainly pleased that I had done it, and it was a great sense of achievement, but in a much quieter way than wanting to punch the air and shout “Yes” as I usually do when I finish a Marathon. It was an odd feeling – good, but odd. When I had a photo taken to celebrate the accomplishment, I'm told I looked philosophical.



Anyway, there was some celebrating to do now before the boat home tomorrow. First of all, an organ crawl around some of the island's churches and chapels before seeing “The Sound of Music” at the Gaiety Theatre, Douglas, that evening. Maria von Trapp looked more like Cilla Black, but we'll let that pass.

What an amazing week. I have met some great people – some planned, some totally unexpectedly. Many, many thanks to John for being mine host, driver and all-round good guy, and his son Matthew for putting up with me. One thing I do know – it must not be another 43 years before I return to the island.



No comments:

Post a Comment