Tuesday, 12 July 2011

Prestatyn to Colwyn Bay

I've been walking again, continuing with the Welsh coast challenge. 17 mile walks do not get much easier than this.

The coastal path from Prestatyn is cycle path all the way. In my last blog, I commented how it felt as if I was miles from anywhere at times, even if it was just a few yards from the road, but this was decidedly busier. Not crowded out by any means, but there was a steady stream of walkers, joggers, people walking the dog, cyclists or just people taking the air. Once again, the weather was glorious, and happily this time, the sun cream reached all the places it needed to reach!

Walking through Prestatyn and Rhyl, my first question was "What has happened to the great British seaside?" Now, I realise that this is a school day just a bit out of the tourist season, so these resorts are very unlikely to be at their busiest, but all the same, it was sad to see kiosks, fun fairs and the like, not only closed, but looking like they have been severely neglected. I know that cheap flights, good package deals and the like to the costa notta lotta where there's a better guarantee of weather mean that holidays at home have declined, but what is the real cost we're paying ?

Approaching Abergele, walking by the large rocks that are used as sea defences, I noticed some wild poppies growing. They were beautiful. I thought about picking one and trying to press it to use as a visual aid in November when poppies once again come to the forefront of our minds. As soon as I did, though, a gust of wind blew the petals off and I was left with just a stem. A stark reminder of how fragile life is and of the futility of taking it away.

I felt as if I was flying. I was eating up the miles and it was possible to look along the great sweep of the North Wales coast beyond where I was planning to stop today. Indeed, at one point, I even considered pressing on, going beyond Colwyn Bay and trying to get to Llandudno. I didn't, but when the going was so good, the thought did cross my mind.

Before we go on, dear reader, can we please learn how to pronounce Llandudno correctly. Think "Clan did know" and you're not far off the mark.

I have driven along the A55 through N Wales many times, but did not appreciate just what a great feat of engineering there is in place around the road. At times, the road, railway, cycle path and sea all seem to go along side by side. Through a careful weaving of one through the other all traffic passes quite happily. whenever I pass that way again by car, I will make sure to just cast a quick sideways glance to anyone who might be walking or cycling along the path.

The final stages were uneventful, I reached Colwyn Bay, had a bit to eat and took the train home.

To be continued....

1 comment:

  1. I agree that they've done a magnificent feat of engineering with the A55 with those tunnels etc. It's now a pleasure to drive to Anglesey from Prestatyn. Lovely coast but sadly ruined by the huge windfarm off shore. :(

    ReplyDelete