I have heard a lot more about Diana today than I did yesterday. True, I'm sure she can't have been far from anyone's thoughts (least of all Prince William's). Westminster Abbey is, of course the church where his mother's funeral took place (and also where his great-grandmother's funeral took place).
It is true that for families up and down the country and indeed, around the world, the local church will hold such bitter-sweet memories. A church can hold joyous memories of weddings and baptisms just as much as it can hold more somber memories of funerals and less happy events. True, not every family sees its life played out in the public eye, but the general principle is still the same.
It may be that the reason I didn't hear much about Diana yesterday was that I was outside the Abbey and not able to hear any TV commentary. What various news channels have said about her is something I am unable to comment on. But today, the papers, and some papers especially, are full of her. I really don't believe that this is helpful.
There were subtle tributes to her in the wedding service yesterday, one of them being the first hymn, "Guide me O Thou Great Jehovah", which was sung at her funeral. Again, families across the country will have an association with hymns through wedding and funerals, quite possibly the same hymn being used for both settings.
But let the tributes to Diana be subtle, quiet ones. I am quite sure that she was smiling at yesterday's events, it was a truly joyous day. We honour her memory, of course, but now that we have seen her son grow up into a fine young prince with a beautiful princess at his side, it is now high time that we properly let her rest in peace.

No comments:
Post a Comment