Wednesday, 26 August 2015

Church coffee mornings - mission, or turn-off?

A warm welcome to all – but not to the coffee morning?

Last week I was at the Edinburgh festival and fringe. It’s absolute chaos and madness, but I love it and I’ve been for the past 11 years. There’s plenty of scope for blogs in that alone, and indeed, if you look back over the pages of this blog in years gone by, you will see some reviews of various shows.

This is about something different, something that I’ve been thinking about for some time, but an experience in Edinburgh which brought it into focus.

To say that Edinburgh is busy during the festival is the understatement of the year. It is packed. Hotels are packed, and far more expensive than usual, restaurants do a roaring trade and you cannot get a seat in a coffee shop for love nor money.

That said, I did find a café which was quiet. It was the café at the city of Edinburgh Methodist Church. I went in, ordered a scone and coffee, had a chat with the guy behind the counter as the drink was being made, then sat quietly, enjoyed the refreshments and read part of a book I’d brought. As I was leaving, I had a chat with one of the stewards who explained that in the church, as in Edinburgh in general, nothing is “normal” during August. I fully understood that. Also, I will say that by the time I was leaving, the café was getting busier

So, what’s unusual about that? Well, on face of it, nothing. But on another level, it is a vastly different experience from my usual dealings with church cafes and coffee mornings. There have been a number of times over recent years when I have been visiting another area of the country, passed a church (usually a Methodist church) with a sign advertising a coffee morning, I’ve stood outside – and then realised that I just cannot bring myself to go in. Why? Well, part of it might be that I’m an introvert, and I don’t find going into new social situations easy, but also part of it is that a single man in church tends to stand out like a sore thumb.

On the occasions when I have been to events at churches where I’m not known, I tend to get either the full 20 questions treatment – what brings me to this neck of the woods? – where do I come from? – what do I do for a living? (That’s always a good one in church!) or downright suspicion – What does he want? What’s his business here?

Now I recognise that the 20 questions might be just people trying to be friendly and said with the best will in the world, but I don’t always wish to be on the receiving end of it. As for the suspicion, yes, I could certainly do without that. 

Also, I know it might seem a bit anti-social to some, but how many church cafes are there where I can sit and read quietly and not have anyone bothering me? All these are reasons why I tend to go to a high street coffee shop (either a chain, department store or independent) when out and about. There, I can chat when placing my order and then be left to enjoy my drink in peace.

So, if you are part of a church which runs a café, or which has coffee mornings, can I please ask you to bear this in mind, particularly if people at the church believe that it can be good for mission. I certainly believe that it can, but it can also be a turn-off, if visitors are not made welcome.

For what it’s worth, I am of the opinion that on the whole, church coffee mornings are bad for mission for the reasons stated above. There will be exceptions to this, but I believe this to be the general rule of thumb. That said, they are good pastoral opportunities. As a minister, I am able to go along to the churches where I work, hear the church news, find out how people are doing and chat to whoever may be there. Pastoral, yes, a fund-raiser, yes, but not the best tool of mission.


My experience in Edinburgh was a good one. Perhaps over coming months, I need to steel myself, visit some church coffee mornings incognito and report back to see if my gut instinct has any reality about it or not.

No comments:

Post a Comment