Back to Carmarthen with a bit of luck the worst of the
winter storms have passed. It is now the end of February, and whilst it is not
exactly tropical, there are signs of hope springing up all around us.
Today’s short walk
from Carmarthen to Ferryside was rather functional. There’s not really a lot to
be said for it, it was just to give me a bit of a start on tomorrow’s stretch
to Llanelli.
So, leaving Ferryside the next day, it was a pretty easy
journey along the path, skirting Llansaint and then reaching Kidwelly. That is
a lovely place. I noticed the Methodist church, - it is hard not to notice it,
it is on the main road and also right on the side of the coast path - and I also
noted that I know the minister there. There was a coffee morning being
advertised, but it said that it started at 10, and it was now only 9:30. I know
I would have been made welcome and would have enjoyed a coffee had I shown my
face, but I would also have had “Twenty questions” if other Methodist churches
that I know are anything to go by! Not that this is exclusive to Methodism, and
apologies if this is inaccurate here. As I said earlier in the blog when I was opposite
the Methodist church in Llandudno having a coffee morning, invite me back
sometime of you want to know more about the walk.
Not that everything relating to the walk today was plain
sailing - there was further evidence of the storm damage from this past winter,
and I had to avoid Pembrey forest, presumably because of fallen trees. There
were signs and notices pointing out the diversion, and then the path was
re-routed inland. It followed minor roads before leading onto an old railway
track. The problem was, on the railway track, the diversion signs ran out, and at
one stage I thought I was going to get lost when I realised that I was in
danger of heading further inland than I really needed to be. However, when I
then spotted a railway bridge, I was able to get my bearings, and it turned
out, happily, that I was not lost at all. By heading onto the bridge, I could
reach the main road and walk into Pembrey.
I passed through Pembrey and then stopped for a sandwich
in Burry Port. That is the home town of a Methodist Minister who has made
something of a name for himself – the Rev the Lord Leslie Griffiths of Pembrey
and Burry Port in the county of Dyfed. It sounds grand, but he is very down to
earth, and I have a lot of time for him.
After Burry Port, the path led by a sewage works. I
cannot possibly comment whether that led me to think of anyone or not.
The afternoon was glorious and the walk from Burry Port
to Llanelli was along a lovely bit of coast path. It was buzzing – a sunny afternoon
in February half-term week, there were people out for a walk, walking the dog,
going for a bike-ride etc. It was as good as late February gets. Indeed, having
planned for a day’s walking in February, I was prepared for a cold walk, and
was wearing 2 pairs of socks, one quite long to offer more warmth to the legs –
I had to stop and remove these, it was so warm. For a moment I even regretted
not having my shorts with me, but that would have been too hopeful, and I
didn’t wish to scare people away!
There were also signs around here commemorating the
achievements of Amelia Earhart, the first woman to cross the Atlantic by air. She
didn’t pilot the plane – though she was later to become the first woman to
pilot a place across the Atlantic, but pilot or not, she made the crossing, and
this is where she landed.
Sadly, the glorious weather didn’t last, and I got to
Llanelli just as it started to rain, but what a great day it was.



No comments:
Post a Comment