In many ways, my time on Holy Island
could be summed up in 4 words – walk, read, pray, sleep. Not
necessarily in that order! There was, of course, rather more to it
than that.
This was my 4th visit to the
island. It is a place I love, it is special and it has a peace about
it that is hard to find elsewhere.
The Holy Island of Lindisfarne, to give
it its full name is steeped in Christian history. The ruins of the
abbey speak of the saints of old, Cuthbert, Aiden and others, and a
number of churches and other worship centres on the island remind us
that Christian life and witness continues there to this day.
The approach to Holy Island is via a
causeway. This is flooded at high tide. It is stating the obvious,
but if the tide tables say that it is unsafe to cross, do not try to
cross. It's not just a case of driving through a bit of a flood on
the road, it means that you are driving into the North Sea. If that
is the case, you will not get across, you will almost certainly lose
the car (try telling that one to the insurance companies!) and
indeed, not wishing to over-dramatise things, but your life could be
in danger as well.
When I crossed, I was aware of the tide
tables, and the causeway was to close 75 minutes after I made the
crossing. I was listening to Radio Newcastle at the time, and when I
made it to the island, the song they played was Blondie's “The Tide
is High” How appropriate!
First job was to check into the retreat
house where I was staying “The Open Gate”. It is where I have
always stayed when on the island, and I could hardly believe it when
I was shown to the same room that I have had on the last 3 occasions.
Knowing my way around there immediately gave me a sense of easy
familiarity, the unpacking took next to no time, and in so many ways
I felt as if I was in a home away from home.
Having a walk around the island, I
noticed that there was a funeral party leaving the parish church, so
I kept a respectful distance, yet had a feeling that in such a small,
close-knit community as this, it would be something I would hear
talked about in the days to come. Some of the mourners were heading
to their cars to leave the island, it was almost the end of the safe
crossing time, others were heading to the Manor House, a very nice
hotel. I had looked at the possibility of staying there should the
Open Gate be full, but I didn't need that plan B – quite happily as
it turns out, I could see by the crowd going in that there is no way
I would wish to be checking in there right now. Also, for today at
least, I'd be unlikely to get much peace!
Away from the funeral party, as the
tide began to cover the causeway and a peace descended on the island,
I could feel myself relaxing already.
12 noon saw mid-day prayers in the
chapel at the Open Gate, and this was followed by the search for
somewhere to have lunch – not as easy as it sounds. In the summer,
you can't move for tea shops, cafes etc, but out of season it's not
so easy. Fortunately, the post office doubles up as a cafe and
further doubles up as a general stores, so I was able to get a snack
there. It was there that I met a few other people staying on the
island. One was an Anglican vicar, also staying at the Open Gate, and
the other a Catholic priest staying at the Manor House. It was quite
a good conversation all told!
This is meant to be a retreat, but I
decided to spend the afternoon getting some work out of the way.
Quite simply, I prepared my services up to and including Epiphany.
Hymns / carols, readings all sorted, it just leaves sermons to be
written. It felt fantastic, but when I'd finished and shared the news
on Facebook, the first comment I got back was “I want to hit you
very hard” And that from a so-called friend !! :-)
There was a bit of time for rest in the
later part of the afternoon before evening prayer in the parish
church, St Mary's, where the funeral was held earlier. In the prayers
there, I discovered that the name of the deceased was Douglas, and
yes, of course he was remembered in the prayers.
If finding somewhere to have lunch was
interesting, it was the same sort of problem trying to find a place
for dinner. Usually I've eaten at one of the island's pubs, the Ship,
but there was a notice on the door saying that it was closed until
22nd Dec. So it had to be the Manor House, all the other
pubs, restaurants etc being closed. At least there is one place open,
but, of course, that is where the wake was being held after the
funeral, and now, over 7 hours after the service, with the causeway
re-opened, there were some who were still going strong. I understand
that even the widow had departed by this point, but not all had
followed her example. Some were obviously rather the worse for wear
by now as well. Still, it didn't disturb my enjoyment of dinner, it
was only the pouring rain which put a dampener on the evening!
Back in my room, I started one of the
books I had brought “This odd and wondrous calling” in which 2
ministers tell their stories, and after night prayers at the Open
Gate, I slept better than I have done in some time.
Day 2 began, not surprisingly, with
breakfast. This was shared with Giles and Nathan, the 2 other guests
at the Open Gate, Graham, who is the manager, for want of a better
description, and Ellie, the housekeeper, again for want of a better
description! It was a fascinating conversation, with Graham racking
his brains trying to work out where he knows me from. It is from
previous visits to the island, having met him then. Fair play, That
was over 3 years ago, and he has seen a lot of guests at the Open
Gate since then!
So, an attempt at a walk round the
island. I say attempt, as that is all it was. The rain from last
night had stopped, thank goodness, but it had been replaced by a
biting cold wind. I did get a look at Cuthbert's Island though. It
was tempting to go over there, but the tide was coming in, and access
is even more limited than access to Holy Island via the causeway.
Perhaps this time tomorrow if all goes to plan.
The Abbey was closed
(is anything open out of season?), but a walk on the tops at the
Heugh does at least allow for a view into the abbey grounds.
As well as the Parish church, there is
also a United Reformed Church on the island. I don't make too much of
it to be honest – it was nice to have somewhere to sit quietly, but
it didn't seem to have any atmosphere. It's a bit harsh to say that
it's become a glorified sitting room, but that's how it felt. Sorry.
After mid-day prayers and lunch in the
post-office cafe, there were 2 short walks round parts of the island
this afternoon. Again, the cold prevented me from doing a full lap of
the island, even though I had 4 layers on! The first was down to the
castle. Guess what – it was shut! And the second to the end of the
visitor's car park, to take some photos over the causeway. As the
sunset was so stunning, I went back to Cuthbert's island, now
completely cut off by the tide, and the light over in that direction
was absolutely stunning.
After more reading, then piling the
layers on again for evening prayers in the parish church, I had
dinner in the Manor House again, as again, it was the only place on
the island doing dinner! There were 4 of us this time, Malcolm, who
is the Catholic priest I had lunch with yesterday, and Bill and
David, 2 of the other guests in the hotel. We'd got talking in the
bar beforehand, realised we were all there for something to eat and
decided to share a table and chat as we ate. It made for a very
pleasant evening and not a little ecumenical discussion thrown in for
good measure! Night prayers at the Open Gate rounded off the evening
before heading to bed.
Day 3, and finally the chance to get to
Cuthbert's Island after breakfast. The tide was coming in, but it was
a little earlier than yesterday, and hight tide would be a little
later, so I realised that I had the chance to go if I went now,
didn't hang about when I got there and kept a very keen eye on the
tide so as not to be stranded. Happily, all went to plan. A bit more
time to enjoy the peace of the island would have been nice, but,
short of following in Cuthbert's footsteps and allowing myself to be
stranded over there until low tide tonight, that was not an option.
As the weather was a few degrees warmer
than yesterday – though hardly tropical (!) I did venture for the
walk round the island at last. It was cold, but worth it. It was also
pretty wet and muddy.
After mid-day prayers I was chatting to
a vicar and her husband from Liverpool over lunch. No prizes for
guessing where – the post-office cafe! It was a bit un-nerving to
be told by the proprietor that I reminded him of someone from the
telly, but he couldn't work out who. Don't say he's been watching too
much “Total Wipeout!”
By now it was high tide again, and as I
have never seen the causeway flooded, I had a walk to water's edge.
When the warning signs tell you not to cross the causeway when there
is water on the road it is for a reason. I knew that, I have
mentioned it above, and now I see why. I know it is stating the
obvious, but as there are still some people who have not got the
message, I will say it again – for safety's sake, don't. It is not
worth it.
After evening prayer, it was time for a
bit of packing. Tonight one of the pubs, the Crown and Anchor, was
open, so that is where I ate. It was interesting listening to a
couple of the locals having a chat – apparently some people stayed
in the Manor until 1AM after the funeral the other day – a total of
14 hours in the bar. I mean – why? There's so much more I could say
about that, but perhaps it's best not to. Also, there are plans to
develop some of the island. Now, in some ways it needs it, but as
always happens, it's not gone down too well, some of the people who
have not read the detailed plans are confusing one with another. Some
could be for the good of the island and its community, others less
so. Certainly it must not lose the special nature it has, but that
needs to be mixed with the challenge of living in the 21st
century. I know that's not a matter that is exclusive to the Holy
Island of Lindisfarne, but it doesn't make it any easier.
As it happens, after night prayers,
Graham said that a meeting which had taken place that night about
this very matter was a very good and extremely productive one. Let's
hope some good can come of it without losing the sense of peace and
tranquility as well as the tradition of centuries of prayer and
worship from the faithful.
Normally when I visit Holy Island I
stay just the 2 nights. I was very glad of the 3rd night
this time. It felt just about right. I left after breakfast the
following day ready for Advent and all that this season brings.
I hope that this, my 4th
visit to the island is not my last one.

No comments:
Post a Comment