Thursday, 28 June 2012

Pull over at Cardigan


With my heels red raw (but mercifully, not bleeding) from the boots rubbing against them yesterday, I couldn't face the boots again, and, making sure my heels had good plasters covering them, dug out the trainers and decided to see how it goes with them.

I had a false start initially trying to get out of New Quay – I had tried to join the path a little too low down, but that was easily rectified by going up to the next street. For a short while I seemed to be going back on myself, but then, just as the path changed, so did the headland, and not for the first time on this walk, I had the sea on both sides of me.

The first 4 miles to Cwn Tydi presented no major problem. However, going up the other side of the valley, a sign recommended a detour on minor roads due to steep cliffs and narrow paths. As yesterday, I was happy to follow the detour, but somehow took a wrong turn. I wasn't horribly lost, but things felt a bit like an episode of Fawlty Towers - “You can see the sea if you look out there and strain to the right”. As I realised that I was heading in the right general direction, I pressed on, and by the time I reached Penmorfa I decided that it was easier to continue by road to Tresaith and then on to then Aberporth.

Aberporth is a nice village and was the setting for a fish and chip lunch. However, due to time constraints and an eye on the bus timetable, I needed to press on to Cardigan.

The weather today was a sight better than had been forecast. The rain stayed away, at least it did until the walk was over and I was back in shelter much later in the day, but it was cooler and I was glad of jumper. I'm just grateful that it stayed dry.

As with yesterday's walk, this stretch of the Ceredigion heritage coast is quiet with glorious views . Like some of the beaches on the Lleyn Peninsula, it is an overlooked bit of coast. But don't tell everyone. That'd spoil it !

And so to Cardigan. Hopefully more about that in my next blog when I've had a proper chance to look round the town. As I was preaching in Lampeter the next day, I wanted to get the bus back to New Quay so that I wouldn't be too late arriving at mine hosts for the evening.

No comments:

Post a Comment