Wednesday, 2 November 2011

Dublin Marathon 2011

I know that the following will never get me acknowledged as Poet Laureate, it is just a little ditty that came into mind last Monday. It can be sung to the tune of "Blaydon Races". If you feel you can do better, feel free to have a go, but with one condition. To allow an even playing-field, you need to be running a Marathon as you pen the verse! Don't take it too seriously !

I went to run a Marathon, 'twas on a Hallowe'en
The year two-oh-one-one, in Ireland's land so green.
I left my kit at Merrion Square, but should have kept a hat,
For then the Heavens opened, and we all looked like drowned rats.

To be sure, you should have seen it raining.
We were all soaked in Phoenix Park, but no-one was complaining.
For all the lads and lasses there still had lots of fun.
It's a long way back to Merrion Square, the Dublin Marathon.

1 comment:

  1. Just as a PS - my Marathon time was 4:30:00 - couldn't hit that time again if I tried !

    ReplyDelete