Tuesday, 24 November 2009

Sick of hospitals

I am getting totally fed up of hospitals. Today's visit was for a CT abdomen scan.

The story starts last December - I was on a train from Leeds to Warrington. I thought that I had a slight stomach ache, but it wouldn't go away. The pain got worse and worse, and when I arrived at Warrington station, I could not walk. I called for help and ended up leaving the station by ambulance. It was initially thought to be appendicitis, but it turned out to be kidney stones.
I was in hospital 4 times over the next 4 months - including Christmas Day - and it took 2 operations to remove a total of 7 stones. It is not something I would wish on anybody - it's said that the only pain worse than kidney stones is childbirth - but that doesn't last for 2 months !!
Anyway, they were finally removed in February, so now the question is - what caused them? After many tests, the answer is an enlarged and over-active para-thyroid gland, which is producing too much para-thyroid hormone, which in turn leads to a high blood calcium count, which led to the stones.
So I'm awaiting an operation in the New Year to remove the offending para-thyroid gland.
So where does an abdomen svan come into the picture? To see if there is any debris left from the stones and the operations.
With one thing and another I have become quite a frequent visitir to St James hospital Leeds and the Leeds General infirmary, and I will be glad when the whole thing is over.
The way that things are going, it will not be for a while yet. My experience of the NHS is that the staff are brilliant, but the management is beyond a joke

No comments:

Post a Comment